The Internet is a great equalizer. You do not need a lot of money or a large staff to start an online business.And, there are many real examples of individuals who have built highly successful online businesses at their kitchen tables or in a home office. In fact, I know several folks who earn in excess of $ 500,000 annually without leaving home.
But, good luck trying to find someone who has bought a “ready to go” online business and is now working two hours a day while traveling throughout the world as the advertisements promise. Of course, that doesn’t count the “real people” you see in ads.
Here are some of the problems with “packaged”, “template” online businesses
- You might buy an expensive product online from Macy’s, Sears or Dillards, but would you buy a TV, a piece of jewelry or a vacation package from a company you know nothing about? Neither would anyone else.
- You can have a website hosted on the Internet in less time than it takes to microwave a frozen dinner. Getting people to find your site is a wholly different challenge. So, forget about putting up a site on Friday and walking away from your day job on Monday. It’s just not happening.
- Many products and services just don’t sell well online. You need to know which ones do before you invest in a website.
- Remember that the ready made website you buy is identical to hundreds of others (or more). Not like others; identical to others. That means the website you purchase as part of a business opportunity package can never achieve good rankings in Google or Yahoo. Thus, you’d better have an alternative method of generating targeted traffic to your site.
- Our major automobile companies and banks have failed. So, why do people believe advertisers who tell them the “instant business” they wish to sell them is immune to failure? Instead of wasting time trying to answer this question, just be sure you don’t become one of the believers.
Melanie Duncan’s Tips & Strategies for Building a Successful Online Business
Lots of people do earn a fine living with online businesses, and you can be one of them. But there is no magic that comes from being online; the basics still apply. You need at least one good, reasonably priced product, a cost-effective way to reach your market, and a strong work ethic.
Making money online is a very realistic alternative to a traditional nine to five job. But, you’ll need more than a cookie cutter website and a “proven formula”.